Rotating Header Image

Juvenile Representation

Great Falls Juvenile Court Lawyer

Sometimes even good kids get in trouble with the law. Kids from good families steal to get attention.
Sometimes they drink, do drugs or destroy property to fit in with their friends.

Your child could have the potential to go to college. A criminal conviction could impede their progress.
Your child’s success is worth hiring a criminal defense attorney to fight for dismissal or reduction of a criminal
charge, or to seek alternative sentencing options in the event of a conviction.

Contact Great Falls and McLean juvenile crimes attorney Sheryl Shane right away.

At Sheryl Shane, Attorney at Law, we represent juveniles in divorce or custody proceedings or
in cases of abuse or neglect.

Juveniles Charged With Crimes

When a juvenile has been charged with a felony or misdemeanor crime, the process and potential
punishments can be very different from those for an adult. For example, a juvenile
is more likely to lose their license when convicted.

In some cases, juveniles are represented by a Guardian ad litem, someone who will represent the child’s best
interest in court. Sheryl Shane is a former Guardian ad litem and she brings that experience to representing
juveniles in court when they have been charged with misdemeanor or felony crimes, including:

If Ms. Shane is unable to get the charges dismissed or reduced to a lesser charge, she will seek alternative sentencing in the form of first-offender programs, rehabilitation services or community service. She can also appeal your sentence to the circuit court.

Further, many juvenile court systems have detention facilities specifically for juveniles and special probation officers.

Although the court process and punishments can be different for juveniles, there are some things that are not different at all. The constitutional protections for children are the same as for adults. And it is still important for juveniles to seek the advice of an attorney before giving any information to the police after they are arrested. In some cases, depending on the crime, juveniles can be tried as adults.

Convicted as an Adult

A juvenile can be charged with felony and misdemeanor crimes. If the child is fourteen or older they can be certified as an adult.

The judge will base his or her decision on whether they think the juvenile is competent to face the adult consequences of the crime they committed.

If convicted of a crime as a juvenile, records are not also easily expunged. It could be used against them later in life and cause further problems.

Virginia Juvenile Representation Lawyer

Sheryl Shane will treat you and your child with respect and compassion. She will work diligently and passionately to try to reduce the effects of this charge on your child’s future.

If your child has been charged with a crime, contact a Fairfax or Great Falls juvenile court lawyer today to fight the charges. Sheryl Shane will use her experience to work passionately to get the charges dismissed or reduced and to seek alternative sentencing options.

close window

Office Hours & Directions

Contact Sheryl Shane today for a consultation. Call 703-503-4448. After-hours and weekend meeting appointments are available. Spanish, Korean and Vietnamese language translation can be accessed.

Spanish Contact Lolita: 571-244-9648

Korean Contact Yoon: 571-288-9938

Vietnamese Contact: 703-398-2493


SUITE J. FAIRFAX, VA 22030-4110


SUITE 302, MCLEAN, VA 22102